Ryan Hook
Memorial website in the memory of your loved one


This memorial website was created in the memory of our loved one, Ryan Michael Hook who was born in Michigan on September 10, 1983 and passed away on August 01, 2005 at the age of 21. We will remember him forever.

We were given a gift on September 10, 1983. We were given a beloved young man named Ryan Michael. Ryan was the world to us. He brought us so much joy and was the light of our lives. How do we explain to someone who did not know Ryan who he was and what he did for our lives? He made such a big impact on our lives during his 21 years.

Ryan was such a laid back and easy going person. He was thoughtful, generous and kind. Ryan was a funny person with a great sense of humor and a very quick wit and always kept you laughing at his funny sayings. Ryan was also a sensitive individual with a caring side. He loved his cats and when one was missing for 20 days he walked the streets and posted signs even though he was feeling poorly. Ryan loved singing about the cats, putting their names in the title of songs like "Milo bites the dust" and "Bridget dont lose that number."

Ryan loved art and drawing pictures. He loved playing his guitar and making us guess what song he was playing with a few chords.

Ryan was a natural in sports and loved bowling, basketball and baseball. He was on a traveling team with baseball and enjoyed going out of town for the weekends for the many games and tournaments. Ryan also played in a lot of Gus Macker tournaments with his friends and played basketball at the Court House. When he was not up for playing, he would go watch his friends play.

Ryan loved spending time with his family and friends and loved reminiscing about the past; which some days was all the activity he could handle.

For the last year and a half, life was not easy for Ryan, but he always kept a good and very positive attitude and tried to make the best out of every situation that came his way. Ryan knew he had many family and friends that were there for him during his difficult journey and he loved them all. He was respectful and appreciated each thing that they did for him. Ryan was a very forgiving person and always gave people the benefit of the doubt whether they deserved it or not.

Ryan did have a hard road but now his pain and suffering has ended and he has been set free. Though his passing has left us with much pain in our hearts we must now fill our hearts with joy in remembering Ryan and all the joy he gave us during his short lifetime. We must be strong and brave exactly like Ryan was. Ryan is now at peace and we need to remember that and know that one day we will see him again.

On behalf of Shana and myself (Tami) we want to thank you all of our family, friends, and visitors for lighting candles in Ryan's memory, sharing stories, and the kind words of comfort you have expressed. This lifts our spirits and means more to us than you will ever know.  Thank you so much.

Click here to see Ryan Hook's
Family Tree
Tributes and Condolences
Embrace Each and Every Moment by Lyndie Sorenson   / Mom
I embrace each and every moment
You lived with me on Earth
A journey of emotions
From the second of your birth

Your anticipated arrival
All your life would be
The instant I had waited for
When you were born to...  Continue >>
To My Son - Merry Christmas   / Mom
Dear Ryan- Once  again we celebrate another Christmas without you. I hate doing this it does not seem right. I think of you every night when I say good night to you and every morning hoping I am only waking up from a night mare. This can not be...  Continue >>
Dearly Missed by Lyndie Sorenson   / Mom
Holiday season is reason enough...
for more tears and heartache, it's terribly tough
Harder than ever with holiday cheer
One more day in another long year

I listen to songs that bring back memories
See all the ligh...  Continue >>
Twas the Night Before Christmas by Lyndie Sorenson   / Mom
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care
But one special stocking was no longer there
All that was left were memories bittersweet
Of a life that had ended so incomplete

The family had pictures all gathered around...  Continue >>
Waiting, Wishing and Wondering   / Mom
I would like to find an answer...
or maybe just a clue
As to why you left for heaven
and I'm left missing you

Is there some big secret...
that's hidden till I die
Why you went on to heaven...
and I'm le...  Continue >>
TO MY SON  / MOM     Read >>
My son  / Tami Bush (Mother)    Read >>
To My Precious Son  / Mom     Read >>
Happy Birthday precious Angel  / Angel Leo McPhee Mom     Read >>
Happy Birthday in Heaven Ryan  / Janeane Bricker (none)    Read >>
sorry / Liz Lampkin (none)    Read >>
sorry / Liz Lampkin (none)    Read >>
Angel Quote  / Angelica Grover (Twinless Twin)     Read >>
Halloween Night by Lyndie Sorenson  / Mom     Read >>
Angels / Angelica Grover (Twinless Twin)     Read >>
More tributes and condolences...
Click here to pay tribute or offer your condolences
His legacy
Until We Meet Again  
Each morning when we wake
We know that you are gone
And no one knows the heartache
As we try to carry on

Our hearts still ache with sadness
and many tears still flow
What it meant to lose you
No one will ever know

Our thoughts are always with you
your place no one can fill
In life we loved you dearly
In death we love you still

There will always be a heartache
and often a silent tear
But always a precious memory
of the days when you were here

If tears could make a staircase
and heartaches make a lane
We'd walk the path to heaven
and bring you home again

We hold you close within our hearts
And there you will remain
To walk with us throughout our lives
Until we meet again

Our family chain is broken now
And nothing will be the same
But as God calls us one by one
The chain will link again

 Author Unknown
The mention of my child's name
May bring tears to my eyes
But it never fails to bring music to my ears
If you are really my friend
Let me hear the beautiful music of his name
It soothes my broken heart
and sings to my soul
As long as I live you will live
As long as I live you will be loved
As long as I live you will be remembered

You don't get over it, you just get through it. You don't get by it because you can't get around it. It doesn't get better, it just gets different. Every day grief puts on a new face.

My Hero  

I wrote this story for my college writing class and thought that I would share it with everyone else.

"My Hero"

Heparin, Neupagen, Megase and Morphine were all of the familiar to me, for up until last month they were words used in my house everyday. It was a cold day in March when the first signs appeared. It all started with his hearing going along with his vision worsening. My brother was only twenty-one years old and these are symptoms that are unusual for someone his age.

We paid a visit to the doctor to figure out what was going on and from there we were sent to an ear, nose and throat specialist. In the end, it all bottled down to an ear infection. We were prescribed a prescription and when that did not work, back to the doctor we went. There were dozens of doctors, each with their own specialized titles, whom were all dumbfounded as to why he was having all of these problems. Confusion began to sink in as numerous tests were ran and a countless number of tubes of blood were taken. Finally, there was a long awaited answer. He had a blood clot in his head. He was given a blood thinner, was watched closely for a couple of days, and then was released.

A few weeks later, he had a very terrifying night. He was getting sick, could not sleep, and went into a state where he did not know where he was. He was admitted into the pediatrics intensive care unit, where yet again, doctors did several tests to figure out what was going on. It was then when we found out he had increased intracranial pressure in his head. The doctors performed a spinal tap to release the pressure. This procedure worked, and as result, his hearing and vision started to get better.

About a month or two went by and though he was not back to normal, things seemed to be getting better. Then, out of the blue, he was having the same symptoms but this time instead of hearing it was increased intracranial pressure again, we heard something that no person would ever want to hear. I could tell in the doctor's voice that something was not right. I tried my best to not get upset, but my emotions were starting to pour out as I was fighting desperately to keep them in. My chest felt tight, as if my lungs were going to burst. I tried to relax and take deep breaths to calm myself. Those inescapable words came out and it was almost as if time was standing still, "Ryan has cancer." The cancer was in his cerebral spinal fluid. I sat there with my mom and Ryan, my brother, as we listened to the doctor talking about what actions were to happen in the very near future. I sat unable to concentrate on anything the doctor was saying. I could hear talking, but I could not understand what words were being said. I was asking myself a million questions. How could this happen to my brother? Why him and not me? What did he do to deserve this? Is he going to be ok? After we left the doctors office, I can clearly remember hearing my brother ask, "Mom am I going to die?" From that point, our lives were forever changed. Our scary, unpredictable journey was about to begin and none of us knew what obstacle was going to be thrown at us next.

Ryan went through a round of radiation and several extrememly high doses of chemo. Watching him having to go through all of this brutal treatment was heartbreaking. I watched as my brother lost his hair, got extremely sick, and was always tired. Obviously, with something as serious as cancer, chemo makes you sick, but it was as if someone was slowly sucking life out of him. Each new month would bring another problem. He began to lose his balance and all of his joints were beginning to hurt him immensely. It was then that we found out the cancer cells had spread to his bone marrow, which explained the pain in his joints. As the doctors said, they thought they could cure his cancer. That was something that unfortunately, we would never know for sure.

July 31,2005, I was camping in Baldwin, Michigan with a friend. I received a phone call from my mom. She told me that she and Ryan were at the hospital because he had a terrible headache and fever. As soon as I heard this, my heart started pumping fast and I felt as though I could not breathe. I started panicking and asked my mom if everything was ok. When she could not talk anymore and handed the phone to my uncle, I knew that something was definitely not right. He told me to calm down, drive safe, and come right up to the hospital. As I hung up the phone, I began to cry and could not stop. As we were on our way home, my mom called me back and said, "He had a fresh bleed in his head an just went into surgery, but the doctors said that everything is going to be fine." Hearing this was like music to my ears. Everything was going to be ok after all. As I finally got to the hospital, my mom, grandparents, and uncles we all there. We sat talking about this and that. Finally, a doctor came out and started talking to us. He told us that surgery was over, but there was something in the way he looked and talked that did not feel right to me. It was reminding me of the time when we first got the news that Ryan had cancer. Once again, my heart stated racing and I started to feel as though I could not breathe. That is when the words came out, "His eyes were fixed and dilated. He's brain dead. He's gone." Words can not explain what I felt at that precise moment. I remember crying and crying and saying to my mom, "No mom, no. No mom, no." I remember hearing my mom ask my grandma, "Mom, what am I going to do without my Ryan?" and my grandma telling her, "I don't know." After that, I went into a shocked state of mind, I could not believe what I was hearing. How could this happen to us?

August 1, 2005 is a day that will forever remain in my memory. It was the day that we had to make the hardest decision of our lives. We waited sixteen long, sleepless hours and still there was no change in my brother's condition. It was at that point when we had to agree to take my brother off of life support. My family stood around my brother's bedside and there was not a dry eye in the room. Everyone had to say thier goodbyes. I asked, "What if I can't say goodbye?" My aunt told me to say "See you later," because it is not goodbye. I stood there for what seemed like forever trying to get the words to come out of my mouth. Every time I went to tell him that I loved him and that he was the best brother in the world, my lips began to tremble and it was like someone had sewn my mouth shut. Finally, I got the words to come out. Saying see you later to my brother was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life.

After all my brother went through, he was still able to keep a positive attitude. He was the one who would keep everybody laughing even though he was the one feeling poorly. Watching as my brother went through all of these hardships made me realize what a strong person he was. He was the bravest person I have ever known and I am proud to have been given the opportunity to be his sister and share all of the wonderful times we spent together. My brother is my inspiration, my hero. Sometimes life does not make any sense and we never know why bad things happen to such great people. This is why we must cherish the times we spend with each other and live each day to the fullest.

Shana Hook

More of his legacy...
Ryan's Photo Album
cat drawing Ryan did for the Hematology Oncology doctor's office "Hang In There"
Jump To:
Go to Album >> Open full-screen Slideshow >>